Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Take Me Out to the Used Vinyl Store


I don't know much about Minnesota-based indie outfit The Hold Steady except that they're popular with the Village Voice-reading coffeehouse crowd. They are apparently also huge Minnesota Twins fans, as their recently-leaked interpretation of the stadium standard "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" will attest.

Give it a listen, if you're man enough.

Done?

Hmm...kind of what you expected, no? It's interesting to say the least. It seems to fit the vibe of the franchise and its fans (i.e. paler than white). And though I'm wary of the self-conscious hipster set invading our nation's baseball stadiums with their roguish haircuts, corduroy sport coats, and black horn-rimmed glasses (even though they have 20/20 vision), I think this idea of team-specific theme songs has merit. Is there any way we can enlist Sufjan Stevens for this project?

On second thought, a team's theme song should reflect the local flavor and franchise history--like the way they do it in European soccer--and should therefore be performed by a native artist or in a style unique to the area. To wit, we could have a hyphy tune in Oakland, an R.E.M. ballad for the Braves, and whatever the hell Paul Wall does in Houston.

Of course, this gets me thinking about the possibilities in Philadelphia. Will Smith is out of the question. He's been dead to me ever since he said Philly was merely "jiggy" and characterized Miami as "bringin' the heat, fo' real." Turncoat.

I've narrowed it down to 3 possibilities: some nice blue-eyed soul from Hall and Oates, a funkafied instrumental from MFSB, or a wholly inappropriate and juvenile pop-rap song from the Bloodhound Gang (who have written song titles like "I Wish I Was Queer So I Could Get Chicks").

I think it's obvious what I would cheer loudest for.

Take Me Out to the Indie Rock Ballgame
[Best Week Ever]

1 comment:

Mick said...

i'd say the cubs get wilco or common and the sox can have kanye west. or plain white tees.