Monday, April 16, 2007

Roll of Tarpaulin, Hear My Cry


I had April 16 circled on my calendar for weeks. I had the snacks ready. I notified my roommates that the television was off limits starting at 4 PM PST. I had even cleared my work schedule (read: I left early). The occasion?

I was preparing for the first Phillies game broadcast on ESPN this season. When I'm out on the West Coast, the affiliates usually show a Dodgers or Angels game, and FOX isn't any better. It's no "game of the week" when they show the same two teams every single week. They should just call it "FSN West Weekends." So outside of satellite/pay TV (which I can't afford), the Worldwide Leader is the only hope for globe-trotting baseball expatriates in LA.

I excitedly switched the television on at approximately 3:55 PM PST, laptop in tow, hyped for a nice 3-hour liveblog. Then I saw the ticker at the bottom of the screen:

"PROGRAM ALERT: Major League Baseball, Phillies v. Mets has been postponed"

My mournful wail was heard by everyone in a 7-mile radius. Stupid Canadian moisture. I'll try once (twice?) again during finals week, though it's hard to accurately blog the ripple-like shape of Barry Bonds's enlarged skeletal plates.

UPDATE: I thought I was just grabbing an image from the Weather Channel, but apparently that Doppler Map updates in real time. That's kind of neat, so I'm keeping it there. Just trust me when I say it was raining at the scheduled game time.

No comments: