Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Trade Winds: Brad Lidge

The Phils nabbed Brad Lidge from the Astros today, proving that Ed Wade will always haunt this franchise. It's not a bad acquisition in theory, given how Lidge has kinda sorta bounced back from his Pujols-induced nightmares in the 2005 NLCS. The bullpen definitely needed an upgrade, and I'm even thinking Brett Myers could be getting another crack at the rotation, as somehow Gillick failed to pursue all the over-40 SP free agents out there.

But as admirable as the GM's restraint was in terms of sign-and-pray old fogies, what the Phillies gave up in this Lidge deal doesn't make a lot of sense:

- Geoff Geary: hands down the best part of the deal; a change of scenery might rejuvenate him, but I don't think he was ever going to return to form in Philly

- Michael Bourn: people knew that the Phillies had some outfield assets, but I always thought Bourn was the least likely to be traded since, you know, Aaron Rowand is technically a free agent and the Phils would have no other centerfielder?

And wasn't there a general consensus that Rowand was playing way over his head this past season? The Gold Glove and career-high offensive stats were nice, but doesn't this pretty much send the signal that the Phillies are banking on re-signing him? Very shrewd, Mr. Gillick, very shrewd indeed. Enjoy your money, Aaron; you earned it this past year at least.

- Michael Costanzo: when I woke up this morning, the first thing I thought was, "Gee, I really hope my favorite baseball team trades its best offensive prospect at its weakest infield position for a white Abe Nunez that specializes at a position occupied by a legit MVP candidate"; man, I'm so glad Costanzo's lame-ass AA stats (.270, 27 HR, 86 RBI) are gone now.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I give this trade a Ron Gant.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Much of the talk on espn.com is that the Phils got the better end of this deal. Might Ed Wade have actually helped us? I'm only slightly uncomfortable with this trade. Pundits don't seem to think Costanzo was worth much, but it is disappointing that the team doesn't seem to be concerned about upgrading 3rd at all. Also, trading Bourn indicates to me that they're confident of re-signing Rowand or have a deal for another OF in the works. Again, I don't think it's great that we traded away a serviceable OF, but he was not that special. And I actually think Bert was the best starter we could have hoped to add, so I think I'm okay with getting a new closer, shaky as Lidge may be. Bert wasn't dominant either.

Unknown said...

Just hours after posting this I realized I should probably have a "cool down" policy and not react to news right after I read it. I understand Costanzo also had a lot of Ks and suspect defense. You just never know with prospects though, and the fact that he was a 3B should have counted for something. Maybe the Phils will be ok with the Helms/Dobbs platoon considering the offense they've got all over the diamond, but it's still just a band-aid.

Also, Jimmy Rollins don't rest, which means Eric Bruntlett don't play. He'll be traded by next May. Oh well. And I agree with everything you said about Bert.

The Rowand situation is the only thing that still upsets me. I love him to death, but honestly, do you really think he'll be worth the money it'll take to sign him after his "1993 Dykstra year." I'm questioning the move of Bourn simply because (A) they still have to SIGN Rowand and (B) in a typical year, Rowand is pretty much a waaay more expensive Michael Bourn.

Ah, what the hell. They weren't going to spend that money on pitching or third base anyway. And Rowand has a huge fanbase in Philly. It's like Dad always says: Asses In Seats.

Eric Ambler said...

And then Brad Lidge had a perfect year (except for the All-Star Game) in 2008. I should have saved my vitriol for the contract he got in the post-WS afterglow and his subsequent meltdown/return to average effectiveness.