Monday, July 16, 2007

I Love LA (Whenever I Don't Hate It)

Though I've cooked up a title that would be great for a Larry Andersen lovefest someday, it's just that time of year when I must return to the West Coast. Commentary from afar is kind of neat, especially when the games end before 8 PM, but it's tough not being able to watch the games (the Phillies at least; the Eagles get surprisingly decent coverage). Considering the first two months of this blog's history, the Baker Bowl expects to spend some time on a handful of non-Philly pieces in the not-too-distant future. That being said, don't be surprised if the Baker Bowl goes dark until reliable internet access can be secured. (Read: at least a 1-2 week hiatus)

I do have time for last hurrah--I'll be attending the Kendrick/Billingsley match-up on the Phils' last day at Chavez Ravine on Wednesday. After being there for a Dodgers-Giants game, I think I've seen Dodgers fans at their most intense...and they don't scare me. Unless they are tall, muscular Mexicans.

But I really do wish Dodgers-Phillies still meant something. It's one of the most underrated rivalries in baseball--the death struggles for the NL pennant in the late 1970s, Tommy Lasorda's feud with the Phillie Phanatic, this incredible comeback with a bunch of names I'm too giddy over to even type here (ok, just a couple: Dale Murphy on the Phils! Juan Samuel on the Dodgers!). I'm not sure if you can call it a rivalry anymore, but weird or unique or emotional moments tend to happen when these two clubs get together. If nothing else, it's a chance to see our beloved Mike Lieberthal again, as the odds are good that he'll start a 12 PM day game after a 7 PM night game.

And then I'll boo him. Duty calls.

No comments: